Welcome to The New School!
*IMPORTANT NOTE: All information on this page has been curated for remote learning for the 2020-2021 academic year. Please be advised that the information in this guide is subject to change.
Whether on- or off-campus, Information Technology (IT) offers a variety of technology-based services, tools, and assistance to support your studies, connect and collaborate with classmates, faculty, and staff, and make the most of your New School experience.
What's New This Semester?
From learning tools to advanced support, IT continues to implement changes and updates to better serve The New School community during this remote period.
Your NetID and associated password give you access to a variety of New School services listed in this guide.
To find your NetID &/or change password, go to account.newschool.edu and follow the prompt.
- Your NetID acts as your username and for most students looks something likes this: “ParsJ123” (combination of partial last name, first name initial, and the last 3-digits of your N-Number*).
- Your NetID is used to create your default New School Email address.
- Example: ParsJ123@newschool.edu
- Allows access to MyNewSchool, Canvas, Zoom, Adobe Creative Cloud Apps, Google Apps, and Office 365, and many other online and on-campus services.
*Your N-Number is the 9-digit number starting with an “N” assigned to you as your student ID.
- Your NetID password expires every 180 days.
- If you miss the “change password” prompts from MyNewSchool or your New School email, you can always change/reset your password on the Account Services page.
The New School provides email accounts for the community as part of New School G Suite by Google.
To log into your email, simply use your NetID & password at mail.newschool.edu.
In addition to Gmail, you also receive various other Google Apps including Calendar, Chat, Docs, Groups, and Sites.
MyNewSchool is the university's main web portal where you can access a variety of academic, work, and student life services, including:
- Registering for classes
- Viewing your grades
- Access to financial aid documents
- Making payments online
You can find the Apps Locker in the upper right hand corner of MyNewSchool. The Apps Locker provides you quick access to many university services including but not limited to:
- Zoom: Main conferencing software. Go to your FREE account at newschool.zoom.us
- Canvas: Learning management system, through which you receive all communication regarding course work, obtain assignments, collaborate on projects, participate in discussions, etc.
- Starfish: Appointment platform University-wide platform, allows students to easily request help, receive follow-up, and schedule appointments to discuss questions or concerns with faculty, staff, and advisors.
- HireNew: Online jobs board for searching jobs, access career resources, and discover career development opportunities.
- DegreeWorks: Degree tracking system, allows you to review progress towards degree completion, review required courses, electives, and academic standing.
- Libraries: Library checkout system for access to books, online catalogs and databases.
- Narwhal Nation: Student life portal, allows you to browse and join student organizations, discover fitness classes, and on/off campus events and activities based on your interests.
The software library includes products that are licensed for distribution and are used by The New School student body and other eligible members. The New School negotiates with vendors to make software available at discounted prices or for FREE. Please refer to the individual websites for the most current availability and pricing here.
Microsoft Office 365 FREE | Current students, faculty, and staff
Access Office 365 applications and services, including Word, Excel, and Powerpoint, as well as One Drive storage and One Note to enhance remote co-creations.
To download and install the software, go to portal.office.com and use your New School credentials, including the ‘@newschool.edu’ portion of the email address.
Adobe Creative Cloud FREE | Current students, faculty, and staff
Access a collection of software for graphic design, video editing, web development, photography, and cloud services. The software is available on university and personal devices.
To activate your subscription, follow these step-by-step instructions.
Google Drive FREE | Current students, faculty, and staff
Google Drive is a suite of web-based messaging and collaboration applications including Gmail, Calendar, Chat, Docs, Groups, Hangouts, and Sites.
Get started by using your New School credentials, at docs.newschool.edu.
Please refer back to this page for updates to on-campus regulations and guidelines for this semester.
*IMPORTANT HEALTH ADVISORY: To prevent the risk of virus transmission from building to building, individuals who reserve spaces for studio/task time in buildings outside Arnhold Hall will NOT be permitted to reserve time in the computer lab at Arnhold Hall.
General Use Equipment Center
The General Use Equipment Center, available to students and faculty of The New School, will have an in-person pick up and drop off location on the ground floor of Arnhold Hall, Room 102.
A reservation is required to pick up equipment.
A date and time to drop off equipment must also be scheduled.
Please schedule equipment pick-up and drop-off by selecting “EQC - Arnhold Hall 1st Floor” at reservation.newschool.edu.
Please visit the Equipment Center page for more information about these services and hours of operation.
Remote Computer Lab
In addition to our virtual application service, Apps Anywhere, we are now providing the Remote Computer Lab. The New School’s Remote Labs service allows faculty and students access to select lab computers with all our standard software, remotely 24/7.
Please visit the Technology Lab page for more information.
On-Site access to general use computer stations will be on the 8th floor of Arnhold Hall only.
Each station can be reserved by one person per day. Printing will be limited to those with on-site reservations in Arnhold Hall.
A reservation is required to use technology lab resources.
Please reserve your Arnhold Hall station by selecting “Arnhold Hall 8th Floor” at reservation.newschool.edu.
Please visit the Technology Labs Station and Suite Reservations page for the full list of services, hours of operation, and more information.
During this time, Campus Card Services will continue operating remotely, and ID Cards will be printed on an as-needed basis.
If you are not living on-campus housing, please contact Campus Card Services at email@example.com or 646-909-4472. On-campus resident students will receive their ID card upon their check-in at their dorm.
*Updated for remote learning!*
The New School mobile app offers one-stop access to university info and the most relevant resources needed to maximize your learning experience during this remote period. The latest updates include access to:
The New Students Guide: Everything you need to know to get started and immerse yourself into The New School community
University Directory: Easily search for faculty and staff and obtain their most up-to-date contact info.
The official New School mobile app is available for IOS and Android. Download Now.
IT Central will continue operating remotely until further notice.
IT Central is the go-to place for direct tech assistance or support and now offers extended support services that include more specialized and tailored topics like assisting with at-home WiFi issues, dedicated Zoom training, personal laptop setup, and getting started assistance.
Email Us: firstname.lastname@example.org
Call Us: 646.909.4357
Chat Us: IT Chat is now available! Just message us via the pop-up window on the IT website and someone from our team will assist you.
To submit an IT Service Request, click here.
Please visit the Help page for more information and hours of operation.