Google Team Drives is a shared space where teams can easily store, collaborate on, search, and access their files anywhere, from any device. Team Drives are best suited for use by department groups, student organizations, university committees, and other collaborative work.
Unlike files in the standard Google Drive, files in a Team Drive belong to the team instead of an individual. Even if members leave, the files stay exactly where they are so your team can continue to share information and get work done. More information about the features and functionality of Team Drives is available here.
- Team Drives are owned by the New School, rather than an individual newschool.edu account.
- Because Team Drives are owned by the domain, shared files remain in the Drive after an employee leaves.
- Team Drives must have two designated Drive Managers. The Managers will be given FULL access and are responsible for adding new members or groups, modifying file permissions, and assigning other team members to appropriate access levels.
- Folders and documents stored in a Team Drive can be accessed by all members of that Team Drive.
- Folder permissions are granted at the Team level.
- Individual file permissions can be different for non-team individuals, but Folder permissions cannot.
- As with Google Drive, Team Drives are approved as a cloud storage option for most New School information that falls into the Unrestricted or Restricted information classifications. It is also appropriate for Confidential education records (FERPA-protected information). More information about the different classification levels can be found here